MANAGING corporate (mis)conduct
Anna Romberg is a driven anti-corruption, compliance and corporate governance expert. She is known for her pragmatic and results oriented approach and for ”making things happen in complex organisations”. She was responsible for the well recognised Anti-Bribery program at Telia Company and has subsequently worked as VP Compliance at Cargotec and founded her own business. Drawing upon her multifaceted and global in-house experience, from internal audit, internal control, risk management and compliance she is currently supporting European companies on a consultancy basis. See examples of projects here.
Anna is one of the founders of the Nordic Business Ethics Network and Survey together with Niina Ratsula and have written a book 'The Grey Zone - a practical guide to corporate conduct, compliance and business ethics' together with Michaela Ahlberg. She is a writer and speaker and is doing research in corporate governance, management control and compliance field.
- With unique in-house experience from auditing, internal control, compliance and investigations I support companies with the design and deployment of an effective assurance framework.
- How is the assurance work arranged for? Are the assurance, governance and control related functions working in silos? Do you make use of the scarce resources and existing information in a coordinated and structured way? More often than not we see that a compliance scandal could have been anticipated by the company and that indications of severe misconduct or weaknesses have been brought up in internal records and audit reports several years earlier.
- I support companies with risk assessments, process and control development and training activities.
- I will work together with the relevant internal functions to assess and develop an effective assurance framework and organisation. It can take the form as a 'combined assurance' activity, 'cultural risk assessment' , 'compliance monitoring' or developing a 'fraud prevention program and controls'.
- I have worked with designing and implementing an anti-bribery and corruption compliance program under the scrutiny of the US authorities and have first hand experience of what is deemed adequate and effective.
- Fixing corporate conduct is always a change management effort creating frictions, struggles and contradictions which may be very exhaustive and time consuming for the internal team. As an interim expert I provide hands on support to the audit, compliance and other relevant teams throughout this period.
- I am well placed to assist the Chief Compliance Officer and will work together with the organisation to ensure that the internal remediation efforts are adequately designed, implemented and followed-up.
- During a process of detected corporate misconduct there is a lot ongoing in the organisation including e.g. law firms, forensic accountants, internal investigators and auditors. The Board and management must ensure that the reaction is adequate, timely and holistic. The remedial efforts must span across a variety of functions.
- As a former Chief Ethics and Compliance (CECO) officer I will offload the CECO/ general counsel and take care of coordinating the investigation and remedial efforts, ensuring adequate documentation, execution and reporting to both internal and external stakeholders such as the board, and external stakeholders, such as regulators and investors.
- I am very familiar with complex organisations and to work effectively and efficiently during a time of distress and urgency. I am used to navigate the political game within big corporations to get things done and to ensure Board and executive management buy in and commitment.